Sunday, January 5, 2014

Amber Reviews Perfect Lie by Teresa Mummert.


 

 
 
 
Synopsis:
 
Sometimes love burns so hot in your veins that it consumes all rational thought.


That's why Brock and I never had a chance.  I had to start my life over. College was my

chance to become someone new. I changed everything about myself to fit in, but

one person saw through my facade.


The attraction between Abel and I was undeniable, but I

still hadn't healed from the painful secret I carried around with me. Abel

struggled to get me to face my past in order to move forward. In doing so, he

revealed a secret of his own; one that changed everything I thought I knew.


A secret that would bring Brock back into my life and force

me to face the truth of what really happened the day I lost him.

Amber's Review:



A 4 Star Review by Amber Presley Boyd
I gotta say I had  quite the book hangover after finishing this story.  Teresa Mummert weaved quite the tale in Perfect Lie, a story centering on Delilah or Lie as she says her friends call
her. It’s apparent from the first page that Lie has a sad life, and that she is running from a past that no matter what she does she can’t seem to be set free from it completely. She is dwelling in emense loneliness, sadness and anger from a past that she can’t seem to escape and one that I wasn’t quite sure I could make sense of for a good part of the story. She has few people in her
life that are genuine and it seems that she either likes it that way or is just too scared to take a chance and let anyone inside.  It is also apparent that Lie has secrets that she is still trying to come to terms with as well as an incredibly crappy childhood, as she meets with her therapist Marie. Marie seems to be her one cheerleader until she meets Abel Jensen. Abel sees thru Lie’s façade, sees that
she is just pretending to be happy, pretending to feel connected to those around her, just pretending through her life. Lie is not sure what to think about Abel. He’s as much of a contradiction as she is in many ways. She knows she is attracted to him, but she never really feels worthy of anyone. Plus she is still not over her ex-boyfriend, Brock who is still in Mississippi and who we find is the first person to ever defend her, the first to ever care about
her and the first person to ever love her and she him.

Much of the story, especially Lie’s past, is told in flashback. I didn’t mind this, though at the time it was hard to figure out the gist of what had occurred between her and Brock, why she has no further contact with him given he was such a huge presence in her life. But as the story proceeds it becomes clear that something bad happened, something that is keeping Lie from moving on, from being able to find herself or believe in herself. It seems that the one thing Lie seems confident about is her ability to live within this Perfect Lie, nothing about her world is perfect.  Even though I had to re-read the last chapter to ensure that I understood what was revealed, I have to say that I liked this
story and its revelations. It was a most shocking end but ultimately this is a story about acceptance. It’s about making peace with a difficult past in order to find the good and become a better, healthier person. It’s about finding that someone that believes in you and loves you for the person you don’t believe
that you can be but that they know is there. This is definitely one to go on the TBR list.

*I received an arc in exchange of an honest review of this
book.


 


Purchase Links:

 




Author Bio:

"I was a Russian spy at the ripe age of thirteen, given my uncanny ability to tell if someone was lying ( I also read fortunes on the weekends). By sixteen I had become too much of a handful for the Lethal Intelligence Ensemble (L.I.E.). I was quickly exiled to the south of France where I worked with wayward elephants in the Circus of Roaming Animals and People (C.R.A.P.). I was able to make ends meet by selling my organs on the black market for pocket change and beer money. At the age of twenty three I decided to expand my horizons and become a blackjack dealer in Ireland. I loved the family atmosphere at Barney's Underground Liquor Lounge (B.U.L.L.). People couldn't resist the allure of Liquor up front and poker in the rear. Eventually I became tired of the rear and headed off to the United States to try my hand at tall tales. That is what brings us here today. If you have a moment I'd like to tell you a story.
(This bio is not to be taken seriously under any circumstance.)



Teresa Mummert is an army wife and mother whose passion in life is writing. She is the author of the New York Times and USA Todaybestselling novels White Trash Beautiful and Suicide Note. Born in Pennsylvania, she lived a small town life before following her husband's military career to Louisiana and Georgia. Check out her website for samples and updates! TeresaMummert.com"




No comments :

Post a Comment