Monday, July 22, 2013

Review of Branded by Abi Ketner and Missy Kalicicki

 
Title: Branded (Sinners #1) by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki
Genre: YA Dystopian Romance
 
Summary:
Twenty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadliest sins were the downfall of our society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me.   I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.
Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.
Now, every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.
The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.
Author Bio:
Abi and Missy met in the summer of 1999 at college orientation and have been best friends ever since. After college, they added jobs, husbands and kids to their lives, but they still found time for their friendship. Instead of hanging out on weekends, they went to dinner once a month and reviewed books. What started out as an enjoyable hobby has now become an incredible adventure.
Links:
 
My Thoughts:
I haven't read too many Dystopian books that I could really get into. Not the author's or the book's fault, it's just not really a genre I am too interested in. I did read James Patterson's Witch & Wizard series, and really enjoyed them. I read the first chapter of Branded a few months back, and instantly wanted more. If I hadn't read the authors bio, I would never have guessed that they were first time Indie authors, and the book didn't certainly didn't make me change my mind! In fact, I liked it much more than the Witch & Wizard series. In fact, if all Dystopian books were written like this, I'd be reading much more of this genre. It's well written, with full thought out characters, both main and secondary, it's fast paced and complex, and it certainly leaves you wanting to read the rest of the series right away!
I really love Lexi and Cole. I love that they don't fall instantly in love, or even in like. I imagine that if that was the world we really lived in today, the way their story unfolds is how it would for you or I. It feels completely real, honest, and at times, heart wrenching! I seriously can't wait to read more about them in the next book!
I am really trying to do this review with no spoilers included in it, so I'm not going to go in depth talking about the rest of it. Just trust me, it's an amazing book! They are so many twists and turns throughout it...one's that I didn't see coming...at all. And I loved the way it ended. In fact, I started rereading it right away. When I really loved a book, the second time through is always so much better because I know it ended exactly like it should have!
I've always stuck to the 5 star rating system, but can I have more for this one time?
5 GLORIOUSLY HUGE STARS!
 


No comments :

Post a Comment